Purpose of the House Rules
These House Rules have been devised to help ensure that interactions with fellow students, online staff and course tutors are friendly and constructive. You must comply with the House Rules below when using the facilities on the Virtual Learning Campus (VLC) and in relation to the content of any contributions you may post to the Forum or communicate via Live Class facility, as well as any interaction with online staff, course tutors and fellow students outside of the Forums or Class Chat facility (e.g. via email or social media).
These House Rules must be complied with in spirit as well as to the letter. We will determine, in our sole discretion, whether a contribution breaches the house rules. All course participants should be aware that failure to comply with any of these rules will constitute a breach of conditions. Course participants who consistently abuse these rules will receive one written warning from the AVADO Learning team, after which we reserve the right to remove anyone from the course who continues to breach these guidelines. A refund will not be given in these circumstances. The decision to remove the person from the course will be final.
We reserve the right to revise these House Rules at any time.
Contributions must not contain any statements that could be untrue or defamatory in relation to any other person or organisation. You should therefore ensure that any statement you include in a contribution is factually accurate. You should also avoid exaggerations, drawing unfair conclusions or making unfair implications in the text of your contribution.
We will take a strict approach when moderating and/or dealing with complaints in relation to potentially defamatory statements included in contributions, and you should be aware that we will generally err on the side of caution.
Misuse of course and academic discussions
Any contributions made to an academic discussion must be relevant to the topic. Should you post any material we deem irrelevant, we reserve the right to remove it, and you may be asked to repost it in the area of the course indicated.
You must not post contributions or otherwise use the Virtual Campus, live classes or any of the AVADO Learning social communities in such a manner as to disrupt or prejudice any other person's use or enjoyment of those platforms.
In particular, you must not:
- Include any sexist, racist, bigoted, homophobic, disablist, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable statements or material
- Include any swear words (including abbreviations or alternative spelling)
- Include any other language that is likely to offend any other person
- Be 'flaming' or 'trolling' i.e. contain an angry and mean-spirited statement or a statement that is designed simply to provoke an argument
- Make multiple contributions or use multiple accounts for any purpose that is inconsistent with the spirit of the College including to disrupt or irritate other users or avoid compliance with any of the conditions
- Make contributions in any manner that causes technical difficulties for other students or otherwise disrupts the operation of the College
- Cause or permit 'spamming' i.e. the submission of the same or very similar contributions a number of times
- Create or use your user name or any signature that is posted beneath your contributions to promote any other website, services, products or campaigns, or in any other way that is inconsistent with the terms or spirit of the House Rules.
- You may be advised to repost your contribution to another area of the course.
Moderation of Forum Content
Please be aware that the forums on the VLC are not pre-moderated, meaning that the Learning Community Coordinator can only review content once it has been posted.
The online team will make efforts to ensure the forums are regularly monitored. But due to the large numbers of student using the virtual campus and forums, the online team cannot be expected to review every post on the site on a daily basis
The online team will make reasonable attempts to remove any offensive material from the forums within a reasonable amount of time, after it has been brought to our attention.
The online team retain the right to remove any material which is deemed to cause offence, or is illegal in any way, at our sole discretion – with or without explanation.
It is up to students whether they choose to work with one another and share personal information, however in these situations the House Rules still apply and offensive, abusive and defamatory statements will not be tolerated
Infringement of Copyright or other Intellectual Property Rights
Contributions must not contain any text or materials that risk infringing the copyright or any other intellectual property rights owned by another person.
You will be solely responsible for ensuring that your contributions do not infringe the copyright or other intellectual property rights of a third party; however some practical steps that you could take to minimise the risk of a contribution infringing copyright include the following:
- You should not paste large sections of text from a third party document, website or other source
- Any quotes or text you paste into a contribution should include attribution of that quote or statement to the relevant author
- If you wish to refer to an external source, you should generally include a link to the relevant website, subject to complying with the rules below in relation to links to external websites
Contributions must not contain any form of marketing, advertising, sales or promotion of any products or services offered by you or any other person or organisation – beyond that which would reasonably aid your peers.
Unsuitable Website Links
You must ensure that your contributions do not contain links to any websites or webpage’s (outside of our site) that are broken or that are inconsistent with the spirit and purpose of the Forum/Chat and/or the House Rules.
In particular, you must not include links to any websites or webpage’s that:
- Market, advertise, sell or promote the products or services of you or any other person or organisation
- Breach or risk breaching any law
- Condone, encourage or describe how to commit any unlawful acts
- Breaches the copyright or other legal rights of any person (or encourages persons to do so)
- Risks being in breach of defamation law, confidentiality or contempt of court
- Contain any offensive or immoral content, for example pornography or other sexually explicit material, depictions or descriptions of gratuitous violence, discriminatory material and other offensive materials
- Present any security, safety or access issues, for example links to subscription sites, pages which initiate a download or launch cascading sites, which require obscure software or prior registration in order to access, are age-restricted and/or are in a foreign language with no English language version available
You should be aware that the inclusion of a website or webpage link in any contribution does not in any way imply endorsement by us of the relevant website or webpage.